Friday, May 21, 2010

writing on essay writing

Over the course of this year, I have learned many boring and not so boring things. Knowing how to write an essay with the fill in sheet bubble box thing helped SO much. Knowing that the thesis came after the hook. Knowing that you really do need to cite things correctly...or else. Knowing that with every essay, there is something that you can make a metaphor of your own out of the idea. Considering these facts, I have determined that I have learned quite a lot about essay writing this year. I guess you could say an essayist would be me...but i think that that only applies to people who REALLY enjoy writing them. Not the definition of me! But sure, I've learned enough about the structure and body of the essay that you could call me a Gessayist (gilman taught essayist). One of the main things I learned was to EMBED QUOTES CORRECTLY. Main point.

The main things I usually use points for are either not explaining one of my quotes sufficiently to the text I am using it in, or not citing things correctly. Generally I have "good original ideas" that get my essay rolling although the putting it together part is sometimes harder. Like a puzzle...if you don't have all the pieces it's hard to put it together. So far, I am pretty satisfied with my essay. At first I had this one idea and then it wasn't working. I had an epiphany for a new idea to use. The next thing I knew the essay was pretty much writing itself! (not literally...) Of all the essays we've had to write, this has by far been the hardest. Something about the concept and the characters just couldn't seem to relate to me enough! But, as it turns out, I think that everything IS falling into place just like a puzzle. Like my own metaphor?

1 comment:

  1. Good job! I agree about the embedding quotes, because before this year i didnt know how to do that either! I also thought your idea about the "puzzle" was very valid!

    ReplyDelete