Thursday, June 10, 2010

FINAL CONCLUDING BLOG!!!

The wind blew through the city, one fine summer day. The frogs hopped and the crickets chirped. Just kidding. The sky was blue. But rainy. Typical Washington.
All the sudden, it started pouring...Ice cold raindrops dripping down your face and onto your shoulders.


Boom boom, I imagined for a second that the racing highway was thunder, and the brief moment of excitement brought a smile to my face.

And then it was sunny. Just like that.


Washington weather is just a mystery.

Anyways, on the two block walk to school I saw many things that would change my life-forever. The yellow and black zebra that galloped across the way, bumping and sloshing through a puddle. The roar of a lion and the smoke coming from a campfire drifted into my view. The wide open, gaping doors of a nightmare to come. OK, I guess it wasn't that bad-but after returning from a summer full of splashing waves and sunshine, this wasn't the most ideal place to return to.

From that first day to the last day there were several rules of survival:

The Three Rules:
1. A metaphor is a simile, but a simile is not a metaphor
2. A square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not a square
3. Facebook is your number one resource (mostly...)


Those were the things that I learned, that first day of school. The rest of the year definitely didn't fly by. Why? You might ask. Because-I think I should probably leave it at that. We talked about killing mockingbirds and such, and how we all have great expectations. And how some crazy animals lived on a farm run by some crazy overweight guy named napoleon(a.k.a. a pig). In addition to that, we talked about other stuff. But I'm going to pause for a second and tell you about a certain day...

It all started out as a normal day. Walking to school without an umbrella like a real Washingtonian...or not.

OK...nothing happened. I guess nothing ever exciting happens at school. Except for the days when teachers forget to give us the homework on the boar. That, is the most amazing thing that can happen. Almost.

We talked about
Stuff that made me shout.

For it is without use
As we write about moose,

Or something else random

Like riding a tandem.

Poetry is obviously, NOT NOT NOT my favorite subject. And as for the rest of the year we covered a lot including how to write a paper.

1. Take out a piece of paper or open a word document
2. Read the prompt pronto
3. Examine the checklist
4. Go on Facebook for a second, to verify anything
5. Write the paper


Now you don't HAVE to follow these simple guidelines. But they are simply AMAZING. So yes. You should.

In the bland but more exciting beginning of the year, we did more things in pairs. Much much much much (I can't even begin to say how much) more fun! We got to write a whole essay in a group, and write papers as a group. As the year progressed that was a long lost memory as we traveled through the desert of writing our own papers. That one extra credit, amazing chance was the tree in the middle of the desert. Okay, that was under
estimated. But you get the general idea.







But obviously, things weren't going to stay amazingly easy forever. The first few blogs, were actually fun(not that the other ones weren't...hehe)-about when you were little and things like that. Those always make the most interesting stories, especially when they aren't/weren't the most talented or smart little kids. Those blogs were DEFINITELY and by far the most entertaining! Zodiac signs have never really interested me. And according to some other peoples blogs, not to them either. But I guess it was an ok blog because we didn't have to say whether we liked them or not! Then came the VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY long stretch of blogs about literature. From The Importance of Being Ernest to Romeo and Juliet. Now those. Those were killers. The epically long and ongoing blogs about the same thing on and on and on so we could meet the requirements. That would NOT be so fun to grade...(hint hint). I have to admit that the blog about the modern influences and Romeo and Juliet was kind of entertaining with all of the different songs that people chose. Especially peoples comments. Those were always VERY entertaining. Knowing what you want to hear as you are the grader, I am going to say and in fact lie and I am fairly sure that I may be speaking for many other students here...just bear with me. If I say, "I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE BLOG! I LOVED COMPLETING IT EVERY WEEK!" I might possibly be telling the best lie ever. But to tell the truth in the most-ish blunt manner possible, "I AM SO HAPPY THAT THIS IS OUR LAST BLOG!" But, on the weeks when there was an interesting prompt, I occasionally was entertained by peoples posts. Also, asking the questions about the novels and having them answered by our group members was pretty helpful, especially on the essays! One of my favorite quotes ever, that was introduced to me by my first and second grade teacher is, "Be the change you want to see in the world" which was said by Mahatma Ghandi. This quote has driven my life so far, and will hopefully continue to do so. I think that giving you this advice about the blogs will inform you about next year and many years to come. Throughout this year, this has driven me to every week get my blog done, before midnight the day it was due. This quote has given me the motivation to stay up until midnight finishing an essay or a project. This quote has helped me to do my best when someone else says that this isn't possible. This quote has given me a true meaning to life, and something to strive for. If it was possible to have a quote that explained your life, I would choose this one. Mahatma Ghandi, you have given hope to so many striving souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment