Friday, March 19, 2010

Great expectations that really aren't so great...More and more questions...

In this weeks reading, there were many mysteries revealed including those pertaining to Pip's benefactor and Miss Havisham's intricate web of social life. One of the parts I was confused about, was on page 357 when Pip narrates that Drummle reminded him of Orlick. "I could not have said from where, whether from the inn yard, or the street, or where not- and as Drummle leaned down from the saddle and lighted his cigar and laughed with a jerk of his herad towards the cofeeroom windows, the slouching shoulders, and ragged hair of this man, whose back was towards me, reminded me of Orlick." (357) I don't really understand if Drummle was ever associated with Orlick or if Pip is just reminded of them? Is he missing his past? I don't really get the connections between all of the characters...

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree that this part is a little confusing. I think that Pip just thinks that Drummle looks a lot like Orlick, because they are both people that he dislikes. They are both his enemies.

    ReplyDelete